Skip to content

What happens on a motorcycle course (A1, A2, A)

1. Sign up for our motorcycle course

Sign up for a motorcycle course.

You will receive instructions and credentials for the learning environment in your e-mail the next day at the latest. After this, we will call you to go through the basic guidelines and agree how to schedule the driving lessons.

Right after registration, it is advisable to install the CAP app on your phone. The CAP app will guide you through the course, and you can use it to book driving lessons.

2. Apply for a driving licence permit

To obtain a driving licence, you need to get a permit, issued by Traficom. The driver’s license application is made at Ajovarma, a service provider of Traficom.

If you don’t have a previous driving licence, you will need to submit two passport photos as an attachment to the license application – in most cases, no other attachments are needed! If you have a previous driving licence, a handwritten signature is sufficient for the driving licence application. However, this is a good time to change the updated photo of yourself on the driving licence.

Talk to your doctor about the need for a medical certificate if you have or have had any of diseases, injuries or symptoms that affect your driving health.

It’s convenient to apply for a driver’s license electronically in Traficom’s service, which can be done under certain conditions. Check the terms and go to Traficom’s electronic service.

You should apply for a permit right at the beginning of the course. Driving lessons can begin even before applying for a driver’s license permit, but you need the permit to book a theory test.

The permit can be issued at the earliest one year before you reach the required driving age and it’s valid for three years.

3. Start with theory lessons

If the course includes theory lessons, they will always be completed before starting the driving instruction. Online lessons are spoken in Finnish and subtitled in English.

All theory classes are conducted remotely, as online training. Log in to the learning environment with credentials that we always send no later than the day after registration. In the learning environment, you also practice for the theory test.

A1, A2 and A motorcycle courses:

If you don’t have a previous motorcycle license, you must complete the EAS training, i.e. the training for candidates for first driving licences, which consists of 4 online theory lessons. If you already have another driving licence (e.g. moped or passenger car license), taking the theory lessons is not mandatory, but we still recommend brushing up your knowledge.

A2 and A upgrade courses:

If you are upgrading your motorcycle license, the number of theory hours depends on the chosen course. If you have chosen the Varma upgrade course, you must complete 2 online theory lessons. The exam-only-course does not include any theory lessons.

4. Take the theory test

You can take the theory test at the nearest examiner’s office (Ajovarma).

A driving licence permit must be applied for and the four-hour EAS training included in the theory lessons must be completed before taking the theory test.

Communicate with the driving instructor or the driving school staff to agree on who will book the theory test. If you book the test yourself through Ajovarma’s booking service, inform the driving school. This way we know to book the handling test and any remaining driving lessons immediately after the approved theory test.

You can take the theory test at the earliest one month before the age requirement for the motorcycle license category is met.

You only take the theory test if you complete the entire driver examination.

You must bring a photo ID to the theory exam and be prepared to pay the theory exam fee.

5. Taking your driving lessons

You can start motorcycle instruction after you have completed the theory lessons (if included in the course).

We will contact you before starting the driving lessons. Driving instruction is always fitted to the package you have selected and tailored to serve you best during the first driving lesson. Our professional instructors take care of you!

6. Take the handling and traffic driving examination

The handling test is carried out at a place designated by the examiner (Ajovarma). The traffic driving examination usually starts from the handling test location, if the tests are performed at the same time.

You can participate in the driving test when you have passed the theory exam and completed the driving lessons according to your course –if any– and you have reached the age limit of the motorcycle licence in question.

The handling test consists of five tasks: slow speed, evasion, gates, braking/immediate take-off and effective braking.

In the handling test you must have the proper safety equipment: helmet, jacket, protective long pants, gloves and footwear, which you can get from your CAP Driving School.

Please note that the driving examination takes place in traffic and you are the responsible driver. You should only take the driving test when you really feel that you are ready for it. Learning traffic skills is individual and the feedback you get from your instructor is a valuable indicator of whether you need more practice before taking the driving test.

When going to the examination, you need:

  • Valid identification
  • E100 form (certificate of instruction received) from a driving school. The certificate for a course student are taken care of by the instructor on departure for the driving examination. If you handle the certificate by yourself, you need to print the relevant certificate yourself.
  • Make sure that you have paid for the handling test via the payment link you received at the time of booking. If the payment has been made well in advance, you do not need a payment receipt with you.

After a passed examination, you will receive a temporary driving license. The final driving licence will arrive later in the mail.

Now you are ready to continue learning independently, driving safer every day. You can still contact the driving school if you feel that you need more lessons, for example after a long pause or if you want additional confidence in some aspect of driving.

Sign up for a motorcycle coure

Light motorcycle licence (A1)

The A1 motorcycle licence allows you to operate motorcycles with a cubic capacity of over 50 cc but less than 125 cc and a maximum power of 11 kW. In addition, you must be at least 16 years old.

Motorcycle licence (A2)

The A2 licence allows a person who is at least 18 years old to operate motorcycles with a maximum power of 35 kW and a power-to-weight ratio of 0.2 kW/kg. In addition, you must be at least 18 years old.

Motorcycle licence (A)

The category A motorcycle licence allows you to drive all motorcycles without power restrictions. You must be at least 24 years old, or 20 years old if you have had a valid A2 licence for at least two years.

Search for anything